This Sunday is Earth Day, a day to celebrate the amazing planet we live on. To kick off the weekend, here are some fun facts to impress your friends with:
- Earth Day is the largest non-religious holiday celebrated in the world, with 175 countries observing it.
- The energy gained from recycling one aluminum can could power a TV for three hours.
- Recyclying aluminum cans requires 90% less energy than making new ones.
- 1 bus carries as many people as 40 cars.
- Each person throws away about 4 pounds of garbage per day.
- 84% of household waste can be recycled.
And now for some quick and easy tips to help the planet:
- Reusable grocery bags: Not only do you save the energy used to produce all those plastic bags that eventually end up in landfills, but they're sturdier. Your next 6-pack or bottle of wine will thank you.
- Turn off the lights: Take a look around - do you really need all those lights on? I personally find dinner more romantic and TV-watching more relaxing when I only have one light on. Bonus points for using one with a dimmer switch.
- Walk to the ice cream shop: Instead of driving, walk there! You'll save gas and (minimal) wear and tear on your car, plus you'll burn off some of the calories before you even get there. Guilt-free ice cream tastes so much better!
- Send a free Earth Day ecard to your friends - awareness is one of the most important aspects in any cause!
So what are you waiting for? Send an Earth Day ecard for Sunday!
Happy Earth Day
Hello Around the World